Chicken Empanadas Recipe
1 Hours 5 Minutes Total
- 12 Servings
- 3/4 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (2 oz)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 2 oz cream cheese (from 8-oz package), softened
- 4 teaspoons Old El Paso™ chicken taco seasoning mix (from 0.85-oz package)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- Guacamole, if desired
- Salsa, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line large rimmed pan with cooking parchment paper. In medium bowl, mix chicken, green onions, cheese, chiles, cream cheese and taco seasoning mix. In small bowl, mix egg and water.
- Unroll one of the pie crusts. Using 4 1/2-inch football cookie cutter, cut out 12 footballs from crust, rerolling dough scraps together as necessary. Repeat with second pie crust, to total 24 footballs.
- Place about 2 tablespoons filling in center of football; spread slightly to create even layer on dough with 1/4-inch border around all sides. Brush egg wash around outer edge of football, then gently stretch second dough football and place over top; using fork, crimp edges to seal together. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough. Place on pan.
- Using paring knife, score laces into top of each empanada.
- Brush tops with egg wash. Bake 27 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with guacamole and salsa.
- We used rotisserie chicken for this recipe, but feel free to use leftover chicken breasts or thighs.
- Don’t have a football-shaped cutter? Use a pliable 3 1/2-inch round cutter, and bend into the shape of a football.
Calories200(Calories from Fat110),Total Fat12g(Saturated Fat5g,Trans Fat0g),Cholesterol40mgSodium350mgTotal Carbohydrate18g(Dietary Fiber0g Sugars0g),Protein5g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A6%;Vitamin C4%;Calcium4%;Iron2%; Exchanges:1 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:1 *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.