Easy Oven-Baked Spicy Chicken Tacos
Prep 15 Minutes
Total Time 30 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken, shredded (I used cooked Rotisserie chicken)
- 1 packet (1 oz) Old El Paso™ Hot & Spicy Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomato, drained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 box (4.7 oz) Old El Paso™ Stand 'n Stuff Taco Shells (10 Count)
- 1/2 can (16 oz) Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans
- 2 cups Mexican Blend Cheese, shredded
Make it FRESH toppings, as desired
- 1 jar (12 oz) Old El Paso™ Hot Jalapeño Slices
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded lettuce
Recipe Continues Below
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil. (I originally made this by spraying the pan with non stick spray. That is totally fine to do, but using foil can help in keeping the shells crisp.)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add onion to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and fragrant.Stir in the chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes, and green chiles. Stir to combine fully. Reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Place the taco shells in the baking dish, standing up. I was able to fit 10 taco shells in the dish by adding 2 on each side.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of beans into the bottom of each taco shell. Top with the chicken mixture, almost to the top of each shell. Sprinkle each shell generously with shredded cheese, the more the better!
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and the edges of the shells are browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with your favorite items such as jalapenos, sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.
- Be sure to drain the tomatoes completely—this will help keep the taco shells from becoming soggy while baking!
- If you prefer your oven-baked spicy chicken tacos decidedly not spicy, omit the green chilis and use regular Old El Paso™ Taco Seasoning. Just as delicious!
- When it comes to cheese in the baked spicy chicken tacos, feel free to substitute with Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet