Ground Beef Taco Empanadas
- 8 oz ground beef (at least 85% lean)
- 2 tablespoons Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix (from 1-oz package)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles, drained
- 1/3 cup Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend
- 1/3 cup Old El Paso™ Traditional Refried Beans (from 16-oz can)
- 1 egg
- 1 box Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 bottle (9 oz) Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in taco seasoning mix and 2 tablespoons water. Stir about 1 minute or until mixed well. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir chiles, cheese and beans into beef mixture. In small bowl, lightly beat egg and remaining 1 tablespoon water.
- On lightly floured surface, unroll 1 pie crust. Roll to 14-inch circle. Cut out four 6-inch circles. Repeat with remaining pie crust. Spoon about 1/4 cup filling over half of each round to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Brush edges with egg wash. Fold dough over filling; press edges firmly with fork to seal. Place on large cookie sheet. Brush tops of empanadas with egg wash. Cut 2 small slits on top of each empanada.
- Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and filling is hot. Serve warm with salsa verde sauce and pico de gallo on the side.
- If you’d like to add a little heat to your Ground Beef Taco Empanadas, try substituting Old El Paso™ Shredded 3 Pepper Cheese Blend for the Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend in this recipe.
- We liked these homemade taco empanadas with Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde Sauce, but if you prefer, either Old El Paso™ Creamy Queso Sauce or Old El Paso™ Zesty Ranch Sauce would also be delicious.
- When enclosing the filling in the pie dough, be careful not to pull or stretch the dough, which may cause the taco empanadas to crack in the baking process.
- Once you master classic taco empanadas, try your hand at this game-day ready Chicken Empanadas Recipe . Form them in football shapes for an irresistible chile-and-cheese-filled appetizer.
- Apple Empanadas Mini Taco Bowls are an open-faced empanada recipe using Old El Paso™ Mini Flour Tortilla Taco Bowls . Enjoy filling them with the perfect fall apple cinnamon dessert mix.
2 Empanadas Calories 710 (Calories from Fat 410); Total Fat 45g (Saturated Fat 13g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 1640mg; Total Carbohydrate 58g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g); Protein 17g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 8%; Iron 25%;
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 3 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 1 Medium-Fat Meat, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 7 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 4