Mile High Salsa Pie
A taco dinner kit makes quick work of a tasty layered Mexican pie.
10 Minutes Prep
40 Minutes Total
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef or chopped boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 box (8.7 oz) Old El Paso™ Soft Taco Bake® dinner kit
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso™ kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 jar (16 oz) Old El Paso™ Thick 'n Chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef or chicken, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in seasoning mix (from dinner kit), water and half of the cheese sauce (from dinner kit). Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-high. Simmer uncovered 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in kidney beans and remaining cheese sauce; heat until hot.
- In ungreased 2-quart casserole, place 1 tortilla (from dinner kit). Layer with 1/4 of the salsa, beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers, using up ingredients and ending with cheese on top.
- Cover; bake 17 to 22 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Complement the dinner pie with mango and pineapple slices.
NutritionCalories440(Calories from Fat170),Total Fat19g(Saturated Fat8g,Trans Fat1 1/2g),Cholesterol65mgSodium1470mgTotal Carbohydrate40g(Dietary Fiber4g Sugars4g),Protein25g;% Daily Value*:Vitamin A15%;Vitamin C0%;Calcium25%;Iron20%; Exchanges:2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices:2 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.