Salsa Verde Rice and Chicken Bowls
Chicken tonight? Give it a glow-up with this salsa verde rice twist. Start by stirring in Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde sauce and green chiles to cooked rice before adding in a scoop of shredded rotisserie chicken. Everyone can sprinkle in their favorite taco fixings to make this chicken rice bowl recipe a hassle-free, flavorful success.
20 Minutes Prep
30 Minutes Total
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Old El Paso™ Creamy Salsa Verde sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped deli rotisserie chicken
- 1 package (0.85 oz) Old El Paso™ Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (8 count) Old El Paso™ Soft Tortilla Bowls, heated as directed on package
- 1 cup Old El Paso™ Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In 1 to 1 1/2-quart saucepan, heat uncooked rice and 1 cup water to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Stir in sauce and green chiles; cover and keep warm.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, taco seasoning mix and 1/4 cup water; cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is heated through. Remove from heat.
- To assemble, divide rice and chicken mixtures among warm tortilla bowls; top with cheese, tomatoes, cilantro and additional sauce, if desired.
- Precooked rice is available for purchase in the frozen section of the grocery store and is a convenient alternative to the cooked rice in this recipe. You may also use 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked rice, heated in microwave, before adding the sauce.
- Deli rotisserie chicken makes these bowls quick and convenient!
- Topping the bowls with your favorite salsa or fresh pico de gallo is a great alternative to the tomatoes and cilantro.
Nutrition8 servings (1 taco bowl each)
1 Serving Calories 300 (Calories from Fat 120); Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 910mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g); Protein 17g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%;
Exchanges: 2 Starch, 1 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 High-Fat Meat, 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 2