Slow Cooker Ranchero Chicken Wings
Tomato- and pepper-based ranchero sauce works great for dishes other than Huevos Rancheros. We’ve added it to the slow cooker with everyone’s favorite easy app — chicken wings — for a savory, less fiery, take on wings.
20 Minutes Prep
3 Hours 20 Minutes Total
- 3 lb chicken wing sections
- 2 packages (0.85 oz each) Old El Paso™ chicken taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen™ organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso™ enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 medium serrano chiles, seeds and stems removed
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Spray 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken wings and taco seasoning mix; toss to coat.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender. Cover; blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour tomato mixture over chicken in slow cooker. Stir to coat chicken. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through (at least 165°F).
- Set oven control to broil. Spray large rimmed sheet pan with rack with cooking spray. Place chicken in single layer on rack in pan; reserve sauce. Broil 4 inches from heat 5 to 7 minutes, turning once, until browned.
- Stir sauce in slow cooker; serve with chicken wings.
- If desired, stir chicken wings back into the sauce in slow cooker to keep warm, and serve.
- No broiler? No problem. While broiling adds nice flavor and color, the wings will still be delicious if you need to skip that step.
- We chose serrano chiles over jalapeños in this recipe because serranos are reliably hot. Some jalapeños are as mild as bell peppers. If you have hot jalapeños, or prefer a milder sauce, feel free to use jalapeños instead.