Spanish Rice Skillet Meal
Prep 10 Minutes
Total 35 Minutes
- 1 (7.6-oz.) pkg. Old El Paso™ Spanish Rice
- 1 cup frozen soy-protein burger crumbles (from 12-oz. pkg.)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 oz. (1/2 cup) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Recipe Continues Below
- In medium skillet or saucepan, combine rice, contents of seasoning mix packet, frozen protein crumbles, water, margarine and tomato paste; stir until well mixed. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; uncover. Sprinkle cheese over top. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes or until moisture is absorbed and cheese is melted.
- One-half pound of browned lean ground beef can be used in place of Harvest Burgers.
- To spice up this recipe, use pepper Jack cheese in place of the Monterey Jack cheese.
- To transform this recipe into a quick hand-held supper, roll the cooked rice mixture in soft flour tortillas.
- 1 3/4 Cups Calories 600 (Calories from Fat 140); Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 6g); Cholesterol 25mg; Sodium 1730mg; Total Carbohydrate 91g (Dietary Fiber 6g ,Sugars 4g); Protein 24g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 40%; Iron 35%
- Exchanges: 6 Starch; 6 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet