Taco Beef Tater Tots™ Casserole
Prep 25 Minutes
Total Time 1 Hours 15 Minutes
- 1 lb ground beef (at least 80% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ Chopped Green Chiles
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso™ Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 bag (32 oz) Ore-Ida™ Tater Tots™ Frozen Potatoes
- 1 package (7 oz) Old El Paso™ Shredded Mexican Style 4 Cheese Blend
- 1/4 cup from 1 bottle (9 oz) Old El Paso™ Spicy Queso Blanco Sauce or 1/4 cup from 1 bottle (9 oz) Old El Paso™ Creamy Queso Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Diced avocado, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef and onions over medium-high heat 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until brown; drain, and return to skillet. Stir in tomatoes, chiles, water and seasoning mix; heat to simmering over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Place half of the frozen potatoes in single layer in baking dish. Spoon beef mixture evenly over potatoes. Top with 1 cup of the cheese and remaining frozen potatoes.
- Bake 38 to 42 minutes or until casserole is hot (at least 165°F in center), edges are bubbly and potatoes are lightly browned. Top with remaining cheese; let stand 5 minutes.
- Drizzle casserole with sauce. Top with cilantro and avocado.
- It’s easy to spice up this Mexican Tater Tots™ casserole. If you like it hot, try serving your casserole with your favorite hot sauce, or top with Old El Paso™ Hot Jalapeño Slices.
- To give your taco tater recipe even more taco flavor, drizzle your finished dish with Old El Paso™ Taco Sauce.
- Serve this hearty taco casserole with Tater Tots™ alongside a green salad simply dressed with lime juice, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- 1 Serving Calories 430 (Calories from Fat 250); Total Fat 27g (Saturated Fat 10g ,Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 1190mg; Potassium 260mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 4g ,Sugars 4g); Protein 18g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 20%; Iron 10%
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet