Tex-Mex Breakfast Slab Empanada
1 Hours 5 Minutes Total
- 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese (6 oz)
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat oven to 450°F. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and onion. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Stir in chiles and garlic. Transfer to large bowl. Clean out skillet.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add eggs; cook 30 to 90 seconds, stirring frequently, until eggs are cooked through. Stir eggs and 1/2 cup of the cheese into sausage mixture in bowl. Cool 10 minutes.
- On ungreased rimless large cookie sheet, place 1 pie crust. Spoon sausage mixture evenly over crust, leaving 1-inch border. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Moisten edge of bottom crust with water. Gently drape second pie crust over sausage mixture without stretching dough. Press edge of top crust 1/2 inch from edge of bottom crust. Fold bottom crust edge over top crust edge, and press with fork to seal. With paring knife, make several large cuts in top of crust to vent steam. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Cut in wedges; serve with sour cream.
- Letting the filling cool slightly before assembling the empanada helps prevent the crust from cracking.
- Like it hot? Serve with Mexican hot sauce.
1 Serving: Calories 530 (Calories from Fat 360); Total Fat 41g (Saturated Fat 17g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 155mg; Sodium 780mg; Potassium 150mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 14g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 20%; Iron 4% Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat, 1 High-Fat Meat, 6 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2