Ground Beef Fajitas
Prep 35 Minutes
Total Time 35 Minutes
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lime peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 Old El Paso™ Flour Tortillas for Burritos (8 inch; from 11-oz package), warmed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Guacamole, if desired
Recipe Continues Below
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. In medium bowl, mix beef, lime peel, lime juice, chili powder, tomato paste and garlic. Shape mixture into 4 sausage-shaped rolls, about 6 inches long. Thread 1 beef roll on each of 4 (11-inch) metal skewers; flatten slightly.
- In another medium bowl, mix bell pepper, onion and oil; place mixture in grill basket (grill “wok”).
- Place skewered beef rolls and grill basket on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 7 to 8 minutes, turning beef rolls after 5 minutes and shaking basket to turn vegetables occasionally, until beef rolls are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center and vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove each beef roll from skewer onto center of tortilla. Spoon vegetables over beef rolls. Top with sour cream and cilantro. Serve with guacamole.
- To warm tortillas in the oven, wrap them in foil and bake at 325°F for about 10 minutes, per package instructions. To microwave, cover tortillas with a microwavable paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Tomato paste is available in tubes and cans. Look for it in the supermarket next to the canned tomato products.
- Fajitas with ground meat will make for an easy family dinner, but if you've got extra ground beef ready to go, try our recipe for Ground Beef "Totchos". These are a twist on nachos using potatoes instead of tortilla chips.
- We love fajitas with ground beef, but if your family prefers chicken, check out this recipe for Fresh Chicken Fajitas. The lime-scented chicken and sautéed veggies will make this one easy to love, too.
- 1 Fajita Calories 410 (Calories from Fat 200); Total Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 8g ,Trans Fat 2g); Cholesterol 80mg; Sodium 410mg; Potassium 420mg; Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber 2g ,Sugars 4g); Protein 24g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20%
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet